View Single Post
Old 23-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: oil leak behind the accessory belt & pulleys

Whoosha I wrote this up anyway UK

Like many others I had a small leak around the fan belt coming from the Timing cover seal. So another How to: fix trimming chain plug leak.
HOWEVER....before you start...
It should be possible to just tighten the Timing cover seal without taking anything off. Access would be very ‘blind’ but if you have a socket set, try accessing from this angle. Of course you can’t check the seal, only tighten the bolt.

So to do it the long way...
Tools required, socket set 10-20, ring and open end spanners 10-20, extension bar, crow bar, gasket goo, degrease, string, an old towel, 1 Phillip's head and straight screw driver
1. Park the car wear you can degrease as you work. Remove the fan belt cover if you have one

2. Remove air intake, put the 2 screws ‘somewhere safe’

3. With the fan belt now exposed, use the crow bar to release pressure off the belt ready to slide it of the Power steering pulley. N.B. I used a long piece of wood, this worked to get the belt of but the wood had snapped by the time I went to put it back on. The crow bar was much safer/easier.

With the tension off, use the screw driver to slide the belt of the pulleys.

4. Tie the belt to the pipes over the radiator. This will save a bit of work re threading later.

5. With the fan belt off, time to remove the Power Steering reservoir.

6. There are several bolts and 1 nut to remove to take of the Power Steering reservoir. Remove the single nut.

7. Now remove the 3 blots at the front of the Power Steering pump. You will need to access 2 bots through the pulley wheel.
and 2 bolts (1 high 1 low)

You can now gently lift of the Power Steering pump. I placed mine just back near the coolant reservoir. With the Power Steering pump off you can access the holding bracket.

8. Next remove the 4 blots located here. I used a ring spanner (they weren’t to tight) and a tube. (As you can see the pump is still on. I have changed the order to make it easier to do)

and and

9. Next, remove the 3 blots located at the front. The fan belt will get in the way, just push it down.

There is still 1 bolt holding the bracket to the engine block. Undo and remove the bracket. It will need a clean with degrease.

10. You can now see the Timing cover seal blot. Mine had oil and dirt all around. Use an old towel to clean up the mess before unbolting.

Leave the towel there as some oil will leak out when you remove the bolt. Also have the gasket goo handy ready for the next step.
11. Get a ring spanner and undo the Timing cover seal blot.

(I took this pic before I put the towel down, have the towel here to stop oil leaking)

12. Remove the Timing cover seal and clean it and the engine block. Check the ring washer. Mine looked OK so I simply put some gasket goo on the seal and screwed it back in. I cleaned the area again with the old towel to remove any oil that had leaked out. (image from Whoosha)

13. Apply a bead of gasket goo and screw it back in half way. Clean the shaft of oil and check the gasket goo. If OK tighten up. To make a tight fit and seal I used a spark plug tube for extra leverage when tightening the seal back on.

14. Clean up again if you have to run your finger around the area to smooth out excess gasket goo. Now is a good time to spray on some degrease in the area, let it penetrate (and the gasket goo to dry a bit) and have a cup of tea, smoke, beer etc. When the gasket goo feels OK wash of the degrease before reassembling.
15. The reassembling is just the reverse of the above, but take the opportunity to give everything a clean. Hopefully all the bolts you put somewhere same are still there.

16. Loosely put the Power steering pump back on as it will help putting on the fan belt. Putting the fan belt back on was a pain until I used the crow bar. Wedge it in here as Whoosha shows here.

17. With the Power steering pump and fan belt back on replace the air intake and fan belt cover and you are done. Fire up the car and check everything is OK, with any luck no more leaks. As far as I know this is the same for Series I, II and III Au's. Allow say half a day to do it, better done with good light. Its a greasy job so have hand cleaner close by. Good luck I think it was worth the effort.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
8 users like this post: