View Single Post
Old 24-11-2023, 09:37 AM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: The railway thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Some interesting rail transport we used with ANR was Section Cars. Sure most have seen them in some form. Light mostly open vehicles, easily removed off the tracks. Various trailers for them as well.... work passengers - gear etc.
We had a few different types over time. Drive trains included VW 4 speed, GMH 186 4 speed & a GMH 179 t-bar.

A few times when i was in charge of flags & detonators for rail traffic, i'd save a few Dets & lay a trap for the Section car boys coming home to camp. I've been in their shoes & it scares the crap out of you! lol

https://www.maryvalleyrattler.com.au...r-1024x768.jpg
Those little lift off inspection trolley's are great.

Funny story when we arrived in Maldon Vic. for the first time. My partner wandered into town while I went up to check out the Historic station and railway.
Wanting to know about local mountainbiking rides, I asked a worker there if he knew anything about the forest trails the line past through to Muckleford.

He said you're in luck, I'm about to go and inspect the line. So starts up the little 2 seat, 4 wheeler (similar to below pics) and tootle off down the track stopping in several places on banks to check if the line is shifting off course. Had a great chat about all things bikes and trains.
We get down to Muckleford (where the line originally finished now goes to all the way to Castlemaine) get out, and I ask how do you turn around, within an instant a single hydraulic piston raises to whole deal off the ground and we spin it around for the trip back up.
We get back into town and there's my girl looking at me, as much to say how did you manage that.
Been riding through the forests there ever since. Great Steam train journey as well.

Snapped these at the Wang fly-in and truckshow earlier this year.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: