View Single Post
Old 25-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #658
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Lol getting abused by the public daily.
We have to put signs out now and they're like red rags to a bull. We used to quietly get away with it but they see the sign and hunt you down for a tirade. Funny I was approached by an outraged citizen today whilst hand spraying, she wasn't bothered by the boom sprayer nearby putting out a much worse substance, just by my glypho.

Seriously though we're all pretty accountable and responsible. Everyone is trained and licensed. Accurate wind, temps and delta T is recorded. We also program the spraying of glyph with seasonal growth spurts.

We've tried some alternatives.

Pine oil can work in large and very expensive doses.

Pelargonic acid it just that, bloody acid! The PPE you need to mix it is crazy, we stopped after golfers complained about us getting around in full rubber gaunts, aprons, shields and respirators

Steam is a complete joke. Only contact kills, misses stolons and tubers. Is very time consuming. Theres two things weed seeds need to germinate, heat and moisture, regrowth soon follows. Then theres the carbon footprint of running an internal combustion boiler all day to run it.

The only other one we use is pre-emergents, generally more toxic than glyph but no one seems to care, because they're not in the media and the only nasty chem they know is glyph. Lol.

Anyway thats where I'm at with it, will keep using it in a professional manner and deal with the numpties as they come.
I use glyph regularly for spot spraying my private yards, but won’t take it near the childcare centre I look after, just the same as rodent control there, I’m qualified in rodent baiting but leave it up to rentokil so they have the liability.
I discussed this topic with a concerned client, and gave her some perspective, a full driveway, pathways and tennis court spot spray might use 20-30ml of 360g/l glyphosate, the qtys are minute.
If it comes to it I will carry a sprayer full of slasher (non annoic acid) to use on request, but my fee will reflect that its 8 x more expensive than gly.
Unfortunately the general public get very upset about certain dangers, but are completely oblivious to others, I heard of a school groundsman who was weed spraying after hours, a parent saw him and caused WW3, because won’t someone think of the children! They probably drove home in their petrochemical powered car.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz

Last edited by danzvtil; 25-06-2020 at 11:31 PM.
danzvtil is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: