Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 19-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #40
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i love that bike gecko , what's it worth to buy new . ????

Difficult to answer that question as many of the components are quite old. The groupset is a 2004 Durace, 2004 FSA carbon cranks, 2004 Campag Eurus wheelset etc.

The frame is a 2007 model Eddy Merckx Carbon that I bought as NOS this year. It was brand new, never built up or ridden but a 4 year old model sold at a clear out price. It would have been worth over $4000 new as a frame, fork and seat post, I got it for $1500. If I was to build that bike with the modern equivalents of all the gear on it at todays prices, it would total at over $9000.

Buying NOS frames and components at clear out prices and then getting it built can be a great way to get top quality gear at moderate quality prices if you know what you are doing. I would not suggest that for the novice but when you get on that level gear it makes a massive difference to the riding experience.

For the novice to the sport after a good entry level bike to fulfill their requirements and feed their enthusiasm, I would suggest the quality aluminium frame, 105 components combo that has been mentioned before. That is a good place to start and will even see you through to entry/mid level competition if the bug really bites. That is what my daughter is on (a Specialized) and she is quite a keen club level racer.