View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Mondaveo

Default Re: Space saver tyres

My MC wagon came with a full-size (16") spare wheel, which was quite lucky I thought.
The floor mat is a different moulding (with a curved lip at the rear) and is propped up by dense foam inserts to sit flat and level over the spare wheel.

I'm not sure if it only came on Titanium models or was a factory option on the other grades too. If rondeo isn't sick of chasing through wreckers' yards yet, he could look for one which would give a better outcome with the new full-size spare in his wagon.

Unfortunately with my Titanium having 18" wheels, a 16" spare is a mismatched size and thus marked as a temporary spare with 80km/h speed limit sticker - like a space saver. I wanted to have a properly matched spare. Again like Zetec, the alloy wheel style on Titanium is unique to Mondeo (Focus has similar but not exact styles, but would nonetheless fit). I had an internet search alert saved for about a year before one popped up on Gumtree (new & unused) and I bought it.

The thing I didn't expect was the 18" wheel did not fit in place of the 16" one. The width should be fine, but the tyre has a larger diameter that is just a bit too much and won't go all the way down into the spare wheel depression, frustratingly enough. I'm hoping that swapping the new tyre for a worn one will make enough difference to get it to fit flush (and then that I never have to actually use the spare as it's clear it won't accommodate the road wheel I change...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote