View Single Post
Old 29-03-2023, 07:48 PM   #1687
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
The key thing is, if you don't want to "exercise", find something to keep you "active".
That’s a far better perspective IMO, because it implicitly leans more toward happiness.

Yesterday I had to admit a family member to hospital with a combination of physical and mental illness. It wasn’t the first time, it (sadly) won’t be the last, and they’re far from unique. Keeping active would have greatly helped their condition, but as per my previous post you cannot compel someone beyond attempting to persuade or motivate.

Why do I know it will happen again? Because the health system is incapable of coping with complex cases that need a lifetime of tailored management. Just when a rapport is starting to build with a social worker, or interest is blossoming in an activity, the standout person leaves, a class is reconstituted to be inferior, sessions are cancelled. So the person is back to square one and there’s no time for a case worker to sincerely and diligently engage to see how the loose ends may be picked up again.

In no way does it help someone in that position to lay a further burden of presumption, that they should be exercising more. I’m not apologising if this sounds abrasive, but trite rubbish generally does not help people with mental health difficulties, and people should refrain from posting it.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: