Thread: Major Outage
View Single Post
Old 13-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Major Outage

Good morning

Apologies to all for the 15 hour outage from ~17:00 Sunday afternoon.

The hosting company we use (and have used since Day 1) had a major outage during a planned maintenance of their network infrastructure which started at midnight Sunday night their time which unfortunately was 17:00 here. Apparently after 5 hours they decided to abandon the change and start the remediation process.

I don't have the full details of the root cause but from what I gather every server connected to the particular switch stack lost connectivity that needed manual intervention to resolve.

I didn't discover the outage until this morning unfortunately and when I contacted them they were still working their way through the list of servers to 'fix' and were only escalating the priority when someone contacted them so I suspect the change took out a fair portion of the data centre.

That it coincided with a day when the bride and I decided to binge watch something and was thus away from the computer and no-one rang me to let me know is Murphy's Law at it's best because we could have probably been back up by midnight.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
32 users like this post: