View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #41
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

i smoked from age 16 to age 22. I burnt a pack of 16Mg Winfield Red's a day. This is how i gave up:

i stopped.

For about a month you'll be angry, with everyone, you'll feel like arguing with a tree if it looks at you the wrong way. After about 4 weeks you'll start to feel better.

The biggest problem will be the 'boredom moments' where you get up from your desk/computer/couch or whatever and your mind will flick a switch and say 'smoke time!'. This is what you have to beat, by chewing gum, going and learning something new on wiki, read some jokes, comics, write a letter, hey even write a journal on the process? After a few mins the craving will go. The more you fight it, the smaller the craving gets.

The other biggest issue is alcohol. I rarely have that now too, but when i did it literally went hand in hand with a smoke. Hold a pen with the other hand, a stick, twig, toothpick. A lot of the addiction is holding it, and bringing it to your mouth.

Don't waste extra money on patches, smokers gum etc, stop the expense now and know that a few weeks of hard work will pay off, big time.

I didn't snoke for as long as you, but the ones i did smoke were not light cigarettes lol. I was hooked to the point of having three in a row.

I'd say good luck but you don't need it, just look at your kids faces, then stop.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote