View Single Post
Old 17-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #47
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Twilight for the traditional ICE automobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
You can't ignore the economics of the situation ... interesting times whatever your feelings about ICE vs EV
Yeah, I agree with your post.

Over time, the invisible hand of Adam Smith will win. If people want guilt free transportation (and, really, that is the subtle sales pitch behind EV), then manufacturers will produce EV. Once that decision is made, then customers will chase specifications like range, acceleration, safety, automation, etc. Nor do I see a great leap forward, just evolution that comes in fits and starts. But, cumulatively, over the decades, adds up to impressive hardware.

For awhile there, I was worried that the BMW i3 was the template for driving in the future. What is nice about vehicles like the Ford Mach-E is that EV doesn't have to be a Nanny-mobile.

One of my favourite memories of my old Outlander PHEV was climbing up a dirt track in the country, with the windows down, in near silence. Sure, a throbbing and burbling V8 sounds horny, but, not having it is not the end of a great driving experience.

What I do worry about is the 'cost is not a problem' aspect pushed by some EV advocates. Sure, at present, if you have a $100K to drop on a vehicle there are some nice EV options. But a fair slab of the population drive around in the third/fourth hand $5K workhorse.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: