View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #466
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

1998 AU Fairmont Problems over the past 5 years of owning it:

- Problem & Fix - Approx. Cost

80,000km - New exhaust, brake rotors & brake pads just before I bought it

Power steering rack recall - Ford put a spot weld on the rack bolts so that they cannot undo - $0

Diff Whine - replaced with new diff oil & added an additive to quiten it down + painted some sound deadener underneath the car - Worked a little bit but now (at 200,000km) its really really loud and starting to annoy me. - $50

100,000km - Lower Ball Joints Callapsed - Replaced by ford at a cost of approx $400.

5,000km later Front tyres stuffed as ford didnt do a wheel alignment after replacing ball joints - Fix: Ford replaced them and the rears very very very cheaply - $200

Leaking power steering rack - Replaced with reconditioned rack - approx $300

Fuel pump oversupplying fuel (apparantly according to ford) - replaced with new pump & Injectors cleaned at ford - $300

Collapsed cat due to said overfuelling - New high flow cat. & removing resonators - $300

Car hesitating and missing down low and when accelerating quickly - Replaced leads & plugs.

Car to expensive to run - Put on Landi Renzo Injected LPG System - Cost $3,600

Radiator Header tank split around hose fitting and spewing out all coolant - Fix: Replaced with new header tank - Approx $80 with new Coolant aswell.

Electric Windows slow to wind up - Silicon spray in the tracks - $10

Electric window buttons now working - dis-assembled & cleaned contacts - $0

Electric window button lights not working - Replaced with Blue LED's - $20

Car hesitating and surging - New fuel filter & injector cleaner put through it - $30

Warped rotors - replaced with DBA rotors and new pads $250ish

All boot electronics not working (Boot light, wing stop light, number plate lights & electronic boot release) - Fix: Traced down that the wires had been chopped in half inside the rubber boot leading from boot-lid to car body. Rewired and rejoined the wires, all is well. - $5

Car bent and exhaust busted after reversing into a pole at 60km/h - Replaced with new sports exhaust & new tip - $250 - and replaced front & rear bars with TS50 bars & repaired damage - $ insurance excess $

Car overheating - Replaced thermostat & flushed cooling system & added new coolant. - Cost approx. $70

Gear box flaring (slipping) between gears & not selecting when cold - Gear box stuffed so replaced with new stronger auto & new torque converter - cost $2,200

Idiot next door neighbour backed down the drivers side of my car - Fix: New rear door skin, repair damage to other panels & re-paint the entire side - Cost $2,400 paid in cash by him including hire car while my car was getting repaired.

Front bar smashed while brother driving into a camp site - Fix: repair bar & repaint - $600

Front bar having a 3inch hole punched in it by brothers exhaust after he backed into it - Fix: repair bar & repaint - $600

Shagged lower ball joints again at 200,000km - Replaced for a cost of less than $100. Ford wanted $420ish & pedders wanted $320ish.

Sway bar D bushed shagged - Replaced with nolathane D Bushes - $26

Thats all I can think of right now. Im sure there is more, much more, but mostly little things.

Things Needed to be done this year already:

New suspension (Still original shocks & springs at 200,000km), they still handle surprisingly well.

New steering wheel - Glue has let go and is pretty shagged

Cheers

Col
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote