View Single Post
Old 25-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Advice needed - Coolant flush

The fact that the mechanic said to fill with distilled water indicates that he used coolant concentrate of the correct quantity, then topped up with distilled water. The reservoir normally gets stained by the old coolant so wont clean up unless the mechanic takes it out and cleans the inside of the reservoir by some means (can be difficult). Flushing wont clean it.

Accurate coolant level checks are done when cold, with the car on a level surface. When filling with the new coolant after a flush, some cars are notorious for air pockets remaining, others are not. Some have bleeder screws to enable air pockets to be bled out (eg. VL Commodore I6). The Falcons I have had haven't needed to be bled, but small pockets do normally remain so I check the next day or so and top up until it stabilised.

When the coolant warms up, the coolant level in the reservoir is normally higher because of expansion of the coolant as it heats up. So the mechanic cannot accurately recheck the level until its cooled down again (also that the reservoir pressure cap needs to be depressurized if hot). Sometimes it takes a few heat-cool cycles before the level stabilises.

Thats why a good mechanic makes the owner aware to check the level after the service.

Looking at eb2montys last post where it was mentioned that the service sheet stated the coolant was "drained and refilled", somehow I doubt they actually did a flush, only opened the draincock to drain out the old coolant, then refilled. Thats why I do that job myself so I know its done properly. I would query what they actually did.

Cheers.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 25-06-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote