View Single Post
Old 31-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
karj
XY Falcon

Default Re: So much for gun control

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I don't think people who don't own firearms realise the astounding mountain of crap legitimate gun owners have to wade through to maintain our licence and keep our guns...

I had to sit through a gun safety course, then apply for a licence, then wait for a background check (It was about three months back in the late nineties when I was forced to get a licence because of the gun laws, not it's up near 5 to 7 months apparently), I had to have the cops prying into my background to make sure I had no priors or AVO's against me.
Why do you have a problem with police making sure that firearm owners are well versed in safety and conducting background checks when someone is applying for a firearm license? Have you ever experienced or known someone who has suffered from domestic violence? Gets a bit interesting when firearms are involved...

Quote:
Then you can apply to buy a gun. Then it's another wait. You also have to prove a "valid reason" to obtain a firearm.
Why do you take issue with explaining what sort of firearm you're getting and what it will be used for?

Quote:
Once you get one, you must keep it stored in a locked steel safe bolted to the floor and wall, with ammunition and removable rifle bolts stored separately in another lock up box.
Would you really want criminals breaking into your house and stealing your unsecured firearms?

Quote:
Then you can be subject to a random "inspection of the storage facilities" by police at any time. I've had it done once...the police turned up unannounced, asked to see my gun safe, and I had to take them inside the house and show them, as well as show them my registration forms and licence.
How do you expect them to enforce the law?

Quote:
Importantly, I also have informed the missus that if they should happen to turn up one day when I am not home, she is to pretend no knowledge whatsoever of the location of the key to the gun safe. If they asked her to have a look at the safe, she can show them, but if they sneakily try to get her to open it, boom, I'm guilty of "giving access to firearms to an unlicenced person", and I lose my guns and probably my licence as well as a court appearance and heavy fine and criminal record.
That would be a bit underhanded. We don't have entrapment laws in Aus.

Quote:
If I get convicted of some criminal offence, however minor, I lose my licence and my guns.
What would you class as a minor criminal offence.

Quote:
If I become mentally unstable, my doctor is obligated to inform police and again I lose my guns and licence.
Do you really have a problem with that? I had a relative who shot himself in the head after separating from his wife and the guy in this latest US Batman massacre is pretty obviously mentally unstable.

Quote:
If I want to buy another rifle, I again have to provide a "valid reason to acquire" (even though I already have for the other guns I own), and wait until it's approved.
Again, why do you take issue with explaining what sort of firearm you're getting and what it will be used for?

Quote:
I can't just go out in the remote bush around our town and have a fun time shooting at tin cans and made up targets...that's illegal.
Best practice to do these things in a controlled environment where you can account for all the variables.

Quote:
When I transport my firearms in the car, they have to be locked in the boot, or, if the car doesn't have a boot, it must be in a locked contained chained to the floor by some means, if you want to get really technical with the finer points of the law.
Well I don't imagine you would want the firearms in full view... and if someone were to break into your car or steal it, you wouldn't want them to have easy access to your guns, *especially* if there are any documents that identify your address in the car.

Quote:
Shame that criminals don't face the same restrictions on their activities...
They do. The laws apply to all.

I do appreciate the frustration that you feel having to jump through hoops, but for the greater guarantee of public safety... we have to find some acceptable balance between "no restriction" and "ban them completely".

Last edited by karj; 31-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.