View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Positive self talk strategies
Challenge your own thinking i.e. "is this rational?"
Stretch your capacity (much like a rubber band) by setting small goals i.e. if your anxiety is about new environments and unfamiliar faces, start in an environment which is non threatening.

An example is a small café I use with young people . I take them there once a week; the coffee is the distraction, the environment and people are the challenge. The café has access to a busy road from which they can see from the café'. People move up and down the road going about their business. This in itself is therapeutic as often a person's anxiety is built upon irrational thoughts that others are thinking about them; or want to know what they're doing.

Initially, young people are often too nervous to make the order. Over a couple of weeks they become comfortable and build them up to make the order themselves. Eventually encourage them to go there themselves. Narrative therapy and challenging irrational thoughts; as well as the coffee acts as a tool to disassociate and focus on when the anxiety comes on strong.

This could be done with a friend also. But the idea is to stretch your inner 'rubber band' to increase your capacity to become less anxious in new environments and around strangers.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: