View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #25
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grega View Post
its good to see people openly talking about this stuff. my parents are english and i am the anti christ because mental health issues don't exist. sorry for the generalisation there, i know some poms are nothing like that, but, thats the way they roll.
Unfortunately many of our parents came from a time when mental health issues would stigmatize the whole family. Of course today the amount of help available is huge, talking about it is normal, its the first step to getting better.
My sister wasn't coping some time ago, I suggested she see the doc like I had, she didn't want to do that, she was fearful of being put on drugs.
I had to gently remind her that treatment was her choice, and the doc would discuss all possible options.

We learn about ourselves and our bodies all the time, some blokes can run a marathon or play rough footy for a full game and know their limits, but what about mental limits??
I know that after 14 days straight on caffeine, I start to yell, and that effects my family (and other drivers).
I know that small twinge of chest pain is anxiety starting to rear its ugly head.
I know by the end of a busy week my mind can be shot, leaving me incapable of coherent banter.
I know in my darkest times, reading a fiction novel is the start of my body relaxing and getting back on track.
We all have these foibles, all I can say to the op that knowledge is power. Knowing how YOU react to certain situations means you can better manage yourself in future.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz