View Single Post
Old 13-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #125
LaserLikeFocus

Default Re: LS-LV Focus Duratec-HE 2L Oil Change Thread

The Focus is notoriously low. All I can say is that I recommend an oil pump.

So much easier than ramps, jack stands and wheel jacks.

Seriously though, if the car was but 1 inch higher, you could just get under it, like an old Laser.

In fact, the engine, particularly the oil pan, filter and sump plug is devilishly low. Just have a look at it!

A major source of frustration too is that wheel ramps, jack stands etc in Australia are sickeningly expensive. Have a look at US prices. Read them and weep!

I have seen the adjustable plastic ones in the US but the design has not been refined yet to perfection - once they get the pull away part to lock in the wheel on removal, they will be fantastic.

"Chris, I would strongly recommend to replace the plug with a new one once you get this off. Since it is rounded, it will be hard to take it out and more you try, it gets worst. Try with multi grip locking pliers if you have one."

That's an awful problem. I blame apprentices using goddamn rattle guns on everything. There are specified torque settings for a reason.

I used a bolt extractor socket head myself. My preference would be to replace with original OEM...but you know.

I went for a smart - O plug to start with and I don't like them that much. YOU JUST HAND TIGHTEN. The instructions on the packet are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! You only need to hand tighten to about 8 nM (don't even bother measuring it) but the pack says 25 nM - the bolt head will break off. I should have left as is...

Now I have a second one installed and I extract oil save for the filter topside with a pump.

So my question is - what can you really get out with a drain topside or at the sump, with a flush or not, and is the only real way to get the engine truly clean again to either become a paranoid Yank and swap oil every 4800 km or tear down and rebuild?
LaserLikeFocus is offline   Reply With Quote