View Single Post
Old 15-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #19
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will the Holden brand survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
But Opel is now owned by Peugeot, not GM, and they are paying GM for the rights to build them. That will not last beyond the current models.
Future Opels will be Peugeots/Citroens in drag, and neither of these companies have been successful in Australia in the past due to weird designs and build quality.
So their brands are on the nose here, but probably less so than the Holden lion at present.
Personally I hope that doesn't happen , only because I don't trust Euro's much at all for this country .

Three different locals I know very well bought European , all brand new. . Number 1. Don't know or want to know the Peugeot model designation and was bought brand new about 11-12 years ago when he retired and honest injun it spent most of it's time back at the dealership . Lemon was a compliment . Owner was only telling us about some big problems with it a month or two ago at golf and how disappointing the Pug experience was for him .

The ABS failed , the computer was replaced a second time , the gearbox had issues constantly and parts took ages to arrive . He put up with it for about two years before he did a deal with the dealer and traded it on a second hand Mazda 3 . Ironically he also owned a red Series 1 AU station wagon that he still has , goes in places you'd never think on his intrepid fishing trips , has approaching 300,000 k's and he's never had to spend anything much on it at all. Sound familiar ? Years before he owned an XD Station wagon that went forever as well .

The second one was quite recent . The teacher and hubby bought a brand Tiguan (VW)new in 2016 . Among other silly faults was the stalling without notice . Most scary incident involved taking her son back to Uni one Sunday and the car just stopped mid intersection without warning . Another local Tiguan owner had the same issue as it turns out . Jill (teacher) had this happen a few times , took it back to the dealership and they couldn't guarantee a permanent fix , so she took a financial hit and traded it on a Corolla about a year ago .

One of our teacher aides bought a brand spanker little Mercedes hatch . Again tons of tech , looks okay but that's had brake fail matters , fault codes coming up and dodgey paint . It's currently having that rectified now .

We keep hearing about Euro quality , Euro styling , Euro reliability and such but to be brutally honest I would have no great faith in buying stuff from Europe these days .

Going by so many overall positive comments about Japanese and some Korean fare , Honda , Nissan , Toyota , Mitsubishi and more recently Kia and Hyundai , maybe money is better spent with vehicles sourced from there .

If Holden was offered up for sale , maybe Asian wouldn't be such a bad thing rather than a Peugeot link .

Last edited by roddy1960; 15-04-2018 at 10:55 AM.