View Single Post
Old 26-05-2016, 01:56 PM   #15
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 1st outing at drags...any tips/advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
So I had a second outing. No i'm not really getting the bug but I figured with getting in the low 13s with a couple of treads on the wear bars maybe with new tyres and using the few tips from other drivers I figured maybe a high 12 was possible. Then considering I would probably have to throw money at the car for something lower I would be happy with the high 12. So I tried, lowering tyre pressures to 25 from the 40 they were last time, nope no difference, I tried leaving car in Perf mode, nope no difference. Turned DSC off, nope no difference, hardly getting any ws anyway. Petty/gas nope no difference. BUGGER. Consistent yes, 5 runs 13.3s 13.5 13.4. The only other thing I can think of maybe is the new tyres only a week old and still green so will see in a month or so.
Did you run light?
I can say that's not a good move with my stock FG XR6 T Auto, my GPS data has shown that.
It's surprising how much some weight in the back can help. Keep in mind that most of the time lost in 1st gear because of wheelspin will flow into the 1/4 mile time result (the GPS data shows it's likely to be around 85% of the time lost to 60 km/h, and even what seems like a small amount of wheelspin, can be more costly than you think).

Of course logically extra weight will slow your potential end speed and 1/4 times a bit, but I think in the real world with a high stall up (that a Turbo can benefit so much from) there's a very good chance that you could score a much better 1/4 time if you can get off with a no wheelspin launch (like my untuned car did when it achieved a 12.509 second 1/4 drag strip measured time). That is of course, if your car is really performing as it should for a measured 270 RWKW.

To get an idea of the effect of extra weight you might want to check out the Wallace Racing 1/4 mile calculator and play with a few different weights.

I had around 37 PSI in my near new standard sized Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres and I left ESP on for safety. If there is enough slip to cause ESP intervention in a standard or close to standard Turbo Falcon, I'd say the cars headed for a poor 1/4 time anyway. Best if you can get enough weight into the back of the car to avoid any slip in my view.
Finally do you shallow stage as much as possible? Sure that will give you a faster than real time slip (say 2 to 4 tenths), but I think most of the other cars fast times are also likely to have been be done with shallow stage launches.

Last edited by 2242100; 26-05-2016 at 02:09 PM.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote