View Single Post
Old 16-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #219
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Lol, yes it is a bit of trial and error and quite often depends on where you're going, the weather conditions and who's with you, there is no one correct list.

What I do is start from the ground up with the basic necessities, so drop sheets is first on the list, then the tent and pegs, a hammer to apply the pegs, a sleeping mat, sleeping bag and pillows for each person.
They are the basic things I need on any given trip, then I consider cooking and food requirements and lastly luxuries and equipment for activities.

If I was going to a place I've never been to before I make a list of all the things I think I'll need, when I get back I alter the list, removing what I didn't need and adding anything that I might have overlooked and then print and laminate it for next time, I've probably got a dozen lists specific to different scenario's.
I also work out a menu plan for each meal of each day and then allow an extra meal each in case something happens and we cant get out of where we are etc.

A number of years ago a group of us did a week in Wilpena pound. On the second last day, way up at Aroona Hut where Hans Heysen did some of his best work, we ran into some of the worst weather conditions I've ever experienced. There was no chance of getting out as the roads were washed out, so we had to stay put.
We saddled up and did a 10k hike around the area as there was nothing else to do and by mid afternoon everyone else had used up all their food supplies and we're cold, wet and hungry.
There's me with my Trangia out boiling up the Potato, parsnip, carrot etc. with a packet of chicken noodle soup that I'd set aside for just that occasion, I wasn't hungry, but I had plenty of envious friends.

I camp by the motto, Proper preparation prevents pizz poor performance.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote