View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: suspension issues with a BFIII wagon.

Bushbasher, I've understood what you've said but I am having trouble with your explanations. So instead of answering your questions can I ask a few of my own. They'll be a few comments thrown in as well

Quote:
..causing the car to feel like the front is wandering on bumpy roads..
Good chance what are feeling is rear steer due to the raised rear suspension height with the live axle/re-arched leaf springs. To minimise this effect the factory places the front of the rear spring near horizontal to the road. On XR wagons/utes it's even positioned slightly lower at the front for higher speed stability - your's will be the opposite of this. That's bad.

Quote:
...plus the rear eats the shoulders off the tyres...
That sounds more like under inflation to me. What are the pressures set at? Are they different to the fronts?
With a live rear axle the tyre tread should be staying pretty sqaure with the road at all times.

Quote:
...because it (the rear) doesn't lean over as much as the front in corners...
I'm pretty sure Falcon wagon bodies are stiff enough to ensure that the front and rear lean over the same amount in corners. Different suspension set-ups (IFS vs live rear) will mean the tyres do different things though.

Also, how are the shock absorbers?

It'll blow the budget but best fix (whilst retaining the higher ride height apparently preferred by SWMBO) would be to fit RTV suspension front and back. Largely due to the 1-tonne load capacity and the addition of rear track bars the rear suspension of these is also much stiffer than the deliberately soft front - yet they wear out front tyre first in my experience. Though that may be due to lower load rating/softer compound vs the rear in the sizes I run.

Last edited by Raptor; 04-07-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: