View Single Post
Old 28-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is the LPG excise purely to repay the LPG-rebate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ill take your word, my memory is diesel has always been around the same as petrol. Which is odd...but hey, our transport system basically runs on it so if your going to make some cash via exercise....

It will take a long time, disaster, or a pretty major tax to get LPG up to PULP in a hurry.

LPG availability is good for the areas in which its used. I would hazzard a generalisation and say most regional areas do not have a great uptake because most of those people use diesel more (with their equipment etc) so no point putting pumps there if its not being used...bit of a catch 22 though if you want people to buy LPG cars.

That being said the taxi fleet alone would make the excise worth while from the govs POV.
I grew up working in a service station owned by my parents, when I was your age diesel was cheap as only trucks and on VERY rare occasions a euroupean car would buy it.

While LPG is nirvana for southeastern city people it is only cheap because it is not taxed as highly.

It is also very difficult to store and transport.
If LPG were to be fair to all Australians then the southeastenrners should have to subsidise the northerners and westeners for that transport cost.

LPG is about 80c/litre here and I have seen it over $1/litre in some places.

So if you add the same tax (which will happen anyway regardless of what they say) and square up the pricing how cheap is it to run your LPG car now?

The ultimate question:

If it cost roughly the same to run your car on LPG or ULP which would you choose?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote