Thread: Chinese Spiders
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Chinese Spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Is it the sheer number of crawlers or are the crawlers doing weird stuff? Asked some of the folks at work, if the former, they were pointing as some form of DDOS protection....but I believe that is big $$$.
It's mostly the number but also the speed they are crawling. They are doing what they normally do when they are here but the general rule is that the number of spiders is kept reasonably small so that the impact isn't great. For example, we generally have about 30 Google or MSN spiders at any one time but we had more like 150 of these Huawei ones and they were working 3x as fast as the Google or MSN ones.

The (useless) answer from our ISP was to install a Fortinet Firewall in front of our server for an extra US$50 / month but I've managed to block a number of them and I can still use the Linux iptables firewall if I need to.

To give you an idea of the impact (and why it is hurting us) here are some raw numbers....

This time of year our data usage averages 15 Gb / day but since May 28th the average has been 141 Gb / day.

Likewise, we would normally serve ~500k pages a day with 700k server hits but the averages since 28th May have been 3.3M pages and 3.5M hits.

It is improving gradually and there are currently no Huawei spiders active but there are some other Chinese ones like Baidu that I still need to knock on the head.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
20 users like this post: