Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 22-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I'd say your father might have had a Cortina model like mine did. Bought in about 1971 Id say. He also used a rope to start it when the ratchet windup mechanism broke. I still have that mower and still use it sometimes. Starts easy, smokes like hell when on idle and revs like crazy.
That's it Tommie , It was a cortina I think now you mention it ..You're good . Thought it was a corvette but I think you're right now.

I've got nowadays , A Husqvarna 18 hp ride on with the 38" deck , a Cox Stockman 10.5 hp in bits awaiting a rebuild , a 1980's Victa that still runs that I bought very second hand at a garage sale, a Rover that I've used since 1995 from brand new , still runs perfect , a side throw newish MTD 4 stroke and a POS MDT that I bought in a weak moment that's gutless as heck Another source of pride is a fully working Villiers reel mower .Bought it off an old English immigrant for $50 .. Oh yes and Dad's Scott Bonnar that he bought to replace the aforesaid very ancient Victa mentioned in the original post .Motor seized though but won't throw it out .. Also got a Jonsered TL33 commercial brushcutter from 1994 ish that has a load governed carby that senses when under load and opens up the power as needed basically. Also an elderly Echo line trimmer owned by an uncle that needs a bit of a reno .

You guessed it , despite that armory I often find the grass is wet and a foot long before I get mowing...

The Cox Stockman was the friction drive rear engine mount , was a ripper until the cone wore down too much after about 20 years constant use . The cost of parts is horrendous but I've tracked down a few bits . Busted off one of the shaft bolts causing skinned knuckles and thrown spanners but I'll get there one day . The Husky is a beaut and a pleasure to use .

A hedge trimmer , two chainsaws and a garden tiller too.

Last edited by roddy1960; 22-10-2018 at 10:15 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: