View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #170
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should volunteer firefighters get paid?

It won't be much longer if it's not already before this massive fire event becomes Australia's greatest natural disaster and that's saying something given Cyclone Tracy , Cyclone Yasi , several other major cyclones , many shocking bushfires across one or two states that devastated areas over a few days or basically one massively terrible day like Black Saturday in 2009 in Victoria that no-one will ever forget .

Then of course incredibly destructive rain/flood events at various times . With no real end in sight , with authorities warning that mega fires from current fires joining up a genuine threat and with the full on summer still to come the humanitarian , fauna , flora , infrastructure and health outcomes are likely to be as bad as it could get for so many .

These firey's , emergency services , essential services , wildlife protection agencies , agricultural and heath providers are going to be stretched to the limit .

Some of those who have spoken up so far have said it was like being in a war zone .

As a few here have quite rightly IMO have said , we're partly paying the price for not having proper fire preparedness mitigation in relation to bush management practices and listening too much to a bunch of whingers when back burning is advertised ".Oh no it might affect breathing or my other health concerns" or " Can't do that it might affect a bird breeding or take out a midden or something " ..I wonder how some of these people feel now then . As for the bloody Greens ...they really have no idea and Richard De Natale and his meddling mob can go and get stuffed as far as I'm concerned...for the same reasons .

Maybe they should sling a few bob in to the kitty to pay a few of our exhausted firey's ...and come back to parliament with a more simple and better attitude to preventative measures , that is if we have a country left to protect ..

These volunteer guys and girls on the fire trucks deserve every cent the State governments or Federal or whatever get or any assistance they end up receiving . I think that we'd never have our money better spent .

That's it from me moderators on this subject ...Had too much to say and too angry and sad to go any more on this thread .. Thanks ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 05-01-2020 at 09:16 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote