View Single Post
Old 25-10-2023, 03:32 PM   #169
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Will we ever beat cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
You don't really know the effects of cancer till it hits you close to home.

My 25 year old little brother passed last week due to a brain tumor.

He started getting headaches in early august and was diagnosed with a tumor on the 21/8/23.

On the 23/8/23 he went into surgery for a biopsy and to see what type of tumor it was. After results came back, it was a malignant germ cell tumor. The original predicted recovery and survival was 90%

5 days after the biopsy he was sent home from hospital and was well. The next 3 days at home he was doing okay and in good spirits and his first round of chemo was to start on the 11/9/23

31/8 to 3/9 he rapidly declined in health. His ability to walk, see and hear all started getting worse by the day.

4/9 we called the ambulance and he was sent to the hospital. At first the doctors thought it was fluid in the brain but what had happened was that the tumor had doubled in size. He entered into a coma and never woke up again.

6/9 The doctor's rushed through the first round of chemo

2 weeks later the doctor's did a follow up MRI scan showing the tumor had remained the same. The tumor did not respond to the chemo. His survival rate changed from 90% to 20%. There was then talks of doing surgery to remove the tumor but due to it's location being in so deep in the middle of brain and him getting phenomena at that time it was not viable.

He eventually passed on the 19/10/23. So in less than 2 months he was diagnosed, treated and died. A perfectly healthy young man who was at the most exciting point in his life and never been in hospital before. I really hope they can find a cure for cancer one day. It definitely does not discriminate and it can happen to anyone at any time. Life is precious.

i'm sorry to hear about your brother mate. my condolences to you and your family.

he sounds like a goood friend of mine who passed away quickly after they found out they had cancer [removed a kidney & found cancer & same with sister-inlaw]. then it spread. started having [don't remember what she said now] fits/issues involving her brain. was dead not long after that :( . and almost the same time my sister-inlaw had the same issues re kidney. it also went to her brain, however she was lucky in that she was able to go to melburne and trial the "gamma knife" which very surprisingly worked very well on what was in her brain. she also had growth on her sternum. she is still fighting it after approx 4 years. my mum had it start on the right side of her tongue. put up with the pain for ages [don't know why] was seen by a few doctors who didn't appear to do/know anything. so she is now missing a piece of her tongue. a while later they did a biopsy on her lymph nodes on the right side of her neck. think it was 20 [?] they took out .... with 17 having cancer. she is only now getting over the chemo treatment on her neck with maybe another week/two weeks of the neck wound healing. inside of her neck will take longer.

so yes it can and will strike anybody :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

you make it seem as the the common cold has been beaten as well.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: