View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #172
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Schumacher critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/motor...end/ar-BB8L865

I'm going to think out loud. What is the foot print on the helmet of a GoPro device? 2-4 square cm? Are ski helmets designed to take small contact high energy impacts? Looking at most helmets - they are designed to take an impact from the actual helmet making contact and this contact area has a far larger area (under load) which therefore spreads out the forces and greatly reduces pressure per sq cm.

My guess is that upon impact the angles and forces at play were perfectly aligned and the GoPro punctured the helmet skin and pierced the skull..

I have family who ride bikes and use these devices on their helmets, whilst I haven't taken a close look at how they are mounted it looks to me like they are just mounted straight onto the shell of the helmet.

If there was some additional layers of helmet material under the mount would that have spread the forces across a greater area of the helmet and saved Shuey?

Do helmets have 'mounting points' where there is a thicker skin or structural ribbing added during manufacture to allow for this scenario?

Will this change how GoPro instruct people to mount their product? If the GoPro is proven to have had a large bearing on this accident I wonder what will be the ramifications?

With so much red tale and regulations, I actually find it odd that you can modify a life saving device such as a helmet with a GoPro. Are there any rules and regulations regarding these devices?
i had a quick squiz/google on helmets after your post, it seems regulations vary between states, but also it appears the main concern is drilling of helmets , but in some states even having cameras stuck on is a fineable offence,
i did see a bike helmet with a proper built on bracket for a camera, but no mention of any safety enhancements.
it appears if you add stuff to your helmet, its all on you.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: