View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #51
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

NBN came to Winton a few months ago now.

NBN announced a while back we'd get fibre to the curb because it's quicker, cheaper and faster. But when it came time to roll it out they went with FTTN instead, because apparently it was all marketing crap. 90% of the places they said would get FTTC didn't, unless it was a liberal electorate.

I asked the NBN people why it was changed and they said they choose the fastest, most cost effective roll out for the area. When I pointed out their own literature said FTTC was the fastest, most cost effective roll out for the area they replied by saying that they choose the fastest, most cost effective roll out for the area.

So yeah. My initial impression of NBN was they're a bunch of bastards.

Anyhow, time came to get connected and the Telstra tech came out. He had a bit of work to do because at some time previous to me moving in someone had physically severed the phone line. But he dodgied up a connection and used some electrical tape to connect it. He said he'd come back to install a proper box over it but never did.

He was able to test the line and tell me what my max speed would be, and we're on about 50. Not ideal, but it does the job.

It's been pretty stable for the most part. The odd drop out. I went with Aussie Broadband and it's been good service. No lock in contracts either, so I can always change my plan at any time.

Just last night I had my amazon prime buffering something fierce, but right now unsure if it was a problem with amazon, a problem with the nbn, or a problem with my router being in the spare room with no aircon and the temps reaching 40+ every day.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: