View Single Post
Old 28-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #79
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: Definitive au2-au3 brake upgrade thread

Hi guys,
After about 1.5 yrs of ownership with a spongy (and hard) brake pedal (with the original S1 brakes , and after 1 year of the front brake upgrade to S2, I can now say that the sponginess has disappeared after fitting braided Bosch/PBR lines to the rear to match the front Bosch/PBR I fitted on the front last year with the 2 piston upgrade.

Possibly the original rear rubber hoses were a bit tired, also the pressure will find the weak link and inflate the rubber hose.

The pedal effort is still a bit high, but better.
I have newish slotted rotors up front and bendix gct, with standard bendix on the rear S1 calipers with newish rotors too.
I also made a simple, adjustable master cylinder brace that attaches to one stud of the strut upper mount.

PS: An old fridge compressor used as a vacuum pump and a bleeding kit makes a fool proof 1 man bleeding setup.

-I used a T piece fitting with silicon hose that goes to a vac gauge to confirm vacuum.
You can also apply pedal pressure and then return it slowly without sucking air into the caliper this way. (apply thread sealer tape to the bleeder thread if you want to increase vacuum draw inside the caliper).

Cheers,
Andrew.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: