View Single Post
Old 29-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #37
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The number/percent of old Falcons still registered

Hi Rallye,

Today I spotted one AU and one EF I think it was, near Ikea.

I believe the hail storm in 2008 resulted in approx. 10.000 insurance claims in Perth. Probably approx 1/3 of them was repaired, probably 1/3 was kept by the owners and driven as-is. Probably 1/3rd were uneconomical and went to scrap.

I had a licensed BA as my spare car #4 until last year. Then I sold it as it was my oldest car. It cost money to maintain too many cars, and don't get time to drive them, or care for them.

Again I now have 4 licensed cars. Thinking of which one to get rid of next.

Yes I agree that it is technically possible to drive a BA/BF for perhaps 600.000 K's, but it takes a lot of changing out of parts. (Unless you are comfortable with the typical Taxi clunk-clunk). Before I sold mine I did it up to 100% technical order. It had done under 100k's and it still needed a lot of time and effort on it to get that done. Diff bushings, one front control arm, rear control arms, wheel alignment, oil leaks, brake rotors, some paint repairs, etc. I did all the work DIY, but it wasn't economical to spend all that time to fix it before selling it.

With older cars it always comes to a point where it is cheaper to trade up to a newer car, rather than having endless repairs on an older one.
If you have an ageing Falcon and you are not a DIY person, when you ask your mechanic to look over it he will typically find quite a list of things that should be attended to. Also if a car has been unlicensed it will need full check-up to get it back on the road.

Just a comment to Car10002, No, there no longer many EB/EDs around. Very few if you looked at the statistics.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote