View Single Post
Old 22-01-2020, 12:48 PM   #15
FordGeezer

Default Re: Most Reliable and DIY Ford Ute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
If you wanted a good reliable workhorse, wouldn't the auto trans be the better bet ?

Dr Terry
Main reasons I'm after a manual is easy DIY in repairing it and simpler design less that can go wrong then a auto, also I just like that it gives me a bit more control.
I currently have an Auto Au1 which I'm passing onto a family member.

Here's a quick story about when I brought it.
So I picked her up for $3500 with the road worthy to boot I was pretty happy about it to, still had a real nice body for a 20 year old car (;
And I was driving her around for around 2 weeks when IT happened...Auto shat its self in the middle of Geelong!
It wasn't completely rooted but, I was able to just crawl home, mean while it was clunking and grinding all the way back.
So I parked her in the drive way for the night and called the tow guy next day.
Mechanic looks her over and says she just needs some more Auto oil so he tops her up and she was right to go...or so I thought...
About 3 days later I'm out at the rubbish tip, I unload all my crap and hop in the old girl, start her up, and "CLUNK CRUNCH!" Goes the trans and then I go "F#CK!"

So another tow later back to the mechanic and he says "yeah the transmission is done"

He gives me a couple of options being second hand trans for $270 or reconditioned for $2000, I went for the obvious choice being the second hand trans, he chucks it in and It's been right as rain for the past 2 years now no issues.
It ended up costing me around $2300 give or take mechanic bills and towing.
FordGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: