View Single Post
Old 17-01-2022, 11:40 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Dashcam Footage - Bicycle vs Car - George St Perth CBD 5pm 14/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
My workplace has a new bike path passing the carpark entry/exit. Better than this one looks, but I'd still say, those 2 comments are just an opinion. Maybe it can be explained better - my new one is totally level, this one appears to descend fairly steeply, is that why it shouldn't be there? Is it not bright green and wide like mine is? I just don't know.
From my perspective its enticing trouble as it provides for travel against the natural flow of the traffic in the roadway. A vehicle leaving that carpark wont encounter traffic coming from down the hill due to the divider between the two directions of travel.
Again, not excusing the driver but if it were somewhere they regularly depart from then the habit would be to look in the direction from which the danger generally is.
The gradient would certainly play a part as a cyclist would be powering up the incline and so reducing reaction time.
The warning signs are there for a reason.

Not quite the same scenario but many moons ago I clipped a vehicle as I turned out of a side road onto a one way section of road. As I approached the intersection I looked right as I was very familiar with the flow of traffic and didnt expect anything to be coming from the left, a simple enough mistake but a mistake none the less.
Just as I went to accelerate away I caught vision of a vehicle reversing around the corner from my left and although I swerved to avoid a rear ender i caught the left dog leg on his right rear bumper.
I took the flow of traffic and what Id expect for granted but in my defence you could do exactly what I did another 100 times and there wouldn't be a car reversing around the corner.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote