View Single Post
Old 19-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #758
xr8cam

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

My AUII XR8 98,000kms. Replaced all rotors as they were warped. two new bearings on the front and 4 new tyres because it has done 400kms in 6 years so tyres were out of round and bearings were stuffed.The cruise control buttons work when they want-I replaced all the buttons.The CD changer was also stuffed-quoted $200 repair. I have put a single CD factory unit in untill I make up my mind. The purge solenoid makes its 'tick tick' noise but it is very quiet compared to some reports. I still haven't been able to locate a new one so not sure if it's a instant fix. Rear boot gas strut area was looking dodgy, cleaned up surface rust, thankfully that's all there was and replaced the struts. Main door roof rubber seal that runs from back door across roof to bonnet-remove and wash thoroughly, let dry and spray with suitable protective before replacing. Where bare metal seams are exposed, clean channel out with warm soapy water taking care not too drip inside car. I hold a towel under where i am working with one hand and clean with the other. let dry well. I use a big plastic syringe from the chemist, the kind you mix babys medicine up in, I put rust convertor in that so i can be really accurate when applying to small or difficult spots. Also, loosen off any bolts that have tell tale signs around them, light clean, rust convertor or fish oil etc. I have also just bought a electronic rust inhibitor with 6 points that fix to the car. I will let you know in 10 years if it has been a good investment! I did as much research as I could and there is definitely something to be said for the kits. If it is anygood or not, time will tell. Anything to keep my pride n joy looking as good as she can.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: