View Single Post
Old 19-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #165
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Outstanding service!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Big thanks to good old EBAY . I rang two local Ford dealership parts departments in the past week for the following .

Gas Struts for AU Falcon with spoiler and the pivot studs .

Best price for the struts was $140 and for the pivot ball only , not the stud as they're no longer available was $13 excluding postage . Hmmm.

Got on EBAY ,. Found the gas struts to suit Ford Falcon AU 1-2-3 built between 1998 and 2002 for sedan and for those with the spoiler for , wait for it , wait for it .......$35 , free postage too . Then I found the 10mm studs and pivot balls for $5.75 for 6mm thread or 8mm thread , so I got a pair of both for the same cost as what Ford wanted for the pivot ball only wqhich is useless anyway without the stud . I'd already sourced two new steering dust boots for same Falcon via EBAY for $18 for the pair and free postage .

Yesterday they arrived , so did the gas struts ant the pivots should be here Monday according to the tracking info .

This morning I tried one of the gas struts on the yet to let go side of the boot lid and fits into the ball socket fine behind the retaining clips . Although a bit of sloppiness that's due to the buggered pivot ball that's slightly better than the broken one on the other side . The new one will fit fine .

This is why Ford ****s me so often with the prices and growing frustration but faith restored when many items not specifically genuine required can be found via online retail or outright EBAY etc ...
Agree and disagree, its good to see aftermarket components available when genuine is obsolete. From my history, the cheaper ones that although fit don't seem to last as long as the genuine, speaking in general terms that is, not specific to gas struts (front wheel bearing on a AU for an example).

I hope I am wrong in your case and that your purchase is a good one, but most times the genuine one is dearer for a good reason, but best to check as sometimes the genuine is cheaper also.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: