Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #700
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Digging through the back shed this arvo looking for a long lost throttle link clip for the Cortina I dug this one out. The sprinkler tractor that kicked off my interest in all things mechanical.
One of my childhood pocket money jobs was watering the lawn. Frankly it had knobs on it, standing there with the hose so by accident I found out about the agricultural revolution with this old machine Dad had laying around.

My productivity went up in leaps and bounds and each payday came much easier.

I also learned maintenance. Under the top cover is a set of gears that need greasing and the rear axle also has an oil hole. I experimented with many different grades and viscosities over the years.

Then there was performance, the nozzles needed constant cleaning and the angles changing for maximum throw and coverage.

It tracks the hose so I'd carefully plot a circuit of the yard and take into consideration corner apex. Occasionally a stick would be put in its path for a turf shredding burnout.

Distracted, I never did find that throttle clip but I gave it a quick service and cleared a spot in the main garage for my old sprinkler tractor to remind me what started all of this...
I had a fascination with watering, I had a pope tractor sprinkler, and was such a weirdo, every birthday I wanted a new sprinkler. I had them all lined up in the shed to show visitors.
I then had this thing that I had to find the underground sprinkler system where ever we were, more than once at someone’s house or park I switched on the pop ups. People hate that when they’re sitting around having a bbq.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz