View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #713
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Happy new Mower Day to me!!

Spring growth is upon us and the Rover ProCut that I have been using for the last 6 years is starting to protest. I would normally have updated this mower before now but have been procrastinating it's replacement for at least 18 months now.

Rover changed the deck design of the ProCut series, along with adding additional features like blade brake. Rover kept the full width chute that is important for efficient catching. Talking to my dealers mechanic, he warned me that there had been problems with the new model and Rover's chopping and changing of engines ruled it out for me.

I wasn't drawn to the Honda mowers for one reason or another although I did pop into to have another look at my local dealer. They had none in stock, none on the floor. Honda ruled out again.

Which is where this Bushranger comes into the picture.

Snappily named the 53AH6IMSP 800SP, this is a 3 Speed self-propelled Honda GXV160 powered mower with a 21 inch alloy deck. This thing is built like a tank, feeling really solid and stiff. I love the hefty height adjuster, alloy wheels and strong handle adjusters.

This mower has a shaft drive meaning a half chute, something that I was worried wouldn't live up to the Rovers wet catching ability. I will just have to see how it go's, I will be keeping the ProCut as a backup if it struggles with these conditions.

Interesting to note that despite the Honda badge, these engines are made in China.

Trying it out on a couple of lawns today gave me confidence in its abilities. The first lawn was full of thick clover, it sucked it up no problem at all.

The second lawn was covered in fallen Camphor Laurel leaves. The catcher was packed solid.

The fabric mesh bag also empties much easier than a solid plastic catcher.

Side by side, the Rover shows its age.

That Kohler engine I never really liked. It's muffler is too small, meaning it's a noisy companion. It has always burnt oil, not in a smokey way but needed top ups regularly. I have always been a Briggs man so taking on a Honda is like a Ford man crossing the line into Holden land.

A new machine also means learning to use it too. I need to learn which height adjustments to make for each lawn. Very keen to see how it performs, hopefully I get 6 years out of it like I did with the Rover.
Nice mate, the body and fittings look solid. My HRU196 has a sticker “Assembled in Australia by Honda from imported and local components”.
2 things I love about it
-fuel tank is large (1.5lt I think) interesting to how it compares to your Kohler for fuel economy. Mine goes for weeks before filling.
-solid air filter like you’d find on a car.

Let us know how you get on with it ;)

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz