View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #1433
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Now i grew out of project work years ago, i much prefer trouble shooting and small installs over repetitive work. Thats just me. Anyrate, work only throw projects at me if there are tight time constraints. So i finished a job they threw at me today. It was for a new client and they went in cheap to hopefully get a service agreement out of it, more work kind of stuff. So the job was replace 167 fluoro light fittings in the car park with LED fittings. So every new fitting had to be drilled out for whatever the cable access was, and i had the conversation before hand with my manager to just drill and use new fixings to save time. Time is money, so a little on new fixings to save 5 minutes to mark up the old fitting to the new one, and longer if you either get it wrong or have to argue with the jankey old fixings, yeah, makes sense. So i was told, with 2 offsiders, the job was quoted for 40 fittings a day. Doesnt sound like much, but when you factor in things like its a working car park with cars around and the amount of time wasted moving barricades etc when people need to park in their spot, marking multiple conduit entries on some fittings, all of that. 40 per day isnt an unreasonable ask, but you arent messing about. So 5 days. We were doing 55 per day. 3 day turn around. So 5 days, the company would pretty much break even with only minimal profit. Yeah the blokes i was working with put in a lot of hard work, as did i. I did the 5am starts to do the lights over car spaces, we 100% do not work over or beside cars. But 3 days, the job wont make much of a profit, but, because i was both running the site and managing it, first hand i could give solutions. The 2 tradesmen i was working with are used to reporting to a project manager who sits behind a desk, so real time solutions from a person on site, working aswell, showed them it is possible to think for yourself. And also, i gave up on project work years ago, but i did some major schooling to the new blokes. I havent lost or forgotten a thing. Ive still got it. But whilst happy with smashing out that job, i hope they dont throw me another one like that for atleast 2 years. It was booring and repetitive.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote