View Single Post
Old 17-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Shortage of truck drivers in Australia?

Transport is stupidly cut-throat, it has always been a race to the bottom price wise. I have involved in the industry since mid 1976, not so much these days, but up until about 6 years ago.

Before I continue, it is important to understand that only about 15% of all freight goes interstate, most travels around intrastate (within the State), people tend to focus on interstate trucking but it really is a very small part of the industry.

While they continue to put drivers way down the line over profits, sparkiling trucks, tyres, fuel, etc then they are going to continue to have issues getting good people

As has already been said, why would you give up 10 -14hours per day for a poor hourly rate, or worse 'trip money' of kilometre rate' (I will talk about the issues around trip and kilometre rate in a moment), the chance of being punished by the enforcement people. How many workers of other industries are chased down the road for doing their job by the Police? Some drives need a smack but not all.

There is also a lot of very shonky transport bosses out there as well

Now, on to trip money and kilometre rate. All that does is encourage law breaking, it encourages drivers to keep the vehicle moving to make money. With trip money, you are rewarded for getting there and getting back as fast as you can. With kilometre rate you are rewarded for not stopping, the more the wheels are turning the more money can be made

So much more to say, but that will do