View Single Post
Old 18-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Shortage of truck drivers in Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Yeah, im not so sure Trev, I think its contributed to the issue personally as many drivers are looking elsewhere or given the flick due to the pressure from both sides.
I know when it came in to force for passenger transport in SA a little over 12 months ago we had one of the head honch's come around and tell us how its a positive for us drivers and will clean up the industry, I put my hand up and said all this will do is put pressure on drivers to either sign off to say everything's ok and take the punt that they don't get scrutinised or have something unforeseen arise which draws attention or face the sack from ****ed off employers who cant or wont fix things which are non compliant.
After the meeting I caught him having a private convo with the boss whereby he said, and I quote "this will help you sleep at night now, if they get caught out on the road with non compliance it falls on them and not you"
I walked around the corner and said "Is that right mate" he just froze with a guilty as sin look on his face.

We we're given pre check forms which we we're required to fill out to say the vehicle we we're to drive was compliant, one of our drivers noted a cracked windscreen on the first day it came in to play and got a nasty phone call from the boss saying it was bringing the company into disrepute which left the driver in tears.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so why would you bother....but the management is now safe to sleep at night.

I had an experience many moons ago whereby our forky put a pallet of boxed wine bottles on my tautliner by itself, he put it on one side of the tray, I said either centre it or put an empty stack next to it to prevent it going over.
He went and whinged to the depot manager that I was telling him how to do his job, she came out all gung ho telling me to take it or **** off so I did, sure enough it went over but thankfully the shrink wrap kept it intact and let it fall slowly, so when I got to the destination the forky that end and I stood it up and all was good, when I got back to the depot the forky asked how I went, I said it fell over, he went straight in and told the manager it had fallen over, she came out and abused **** out of me because the freight was damaged, I said but I told you it would happen, she said COR, its on you not to leave if you're not happy with it.

COR is nothing more than buck passing in order to protect those on the step above.
Bent, what would happen if you called worksafe? I see this as a safety issue on so many levels.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote