View Single Post
Old 09-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Road Trip USA in a Fusion

Thanks for your interest.

Cyclone 1410:
Pics of Alamo documents below. At the time it was about $2275AUD. I did a fair bit of research and found the insurance was very important - something to do with US drivers are covered with their license in a rental, different than here. Alamo made it easy, everything is included for Australian drivers, the only extra I took on top was Roadside Assistance for about $5/day as I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Seems expensive but my travel agent quoted me over $3000 with a Budget rental. Note it includes one-way rate, but not specified amount, as I dropped it off on the other side of USA. Peace of mind. All booked on line before I left home.

NX74205:
Alamo usually have an interesting system where you choose your car from a group of similar vehicles at pickup, but this one they allocated the car, maybe because it was a long distance rental? I ordered a basic mid-size Chrysler 200 (or similar) but was upgraded to "full size" (see the Alamo document). Yes, I think I was lucky to get the Titanium, it added enjoyment to our holiday, although a basic would have done the same job.

The only problem it had was a bit of oil consumption, but after about 4 days of putting in a quart of good oil (in total), it stopped using oil - probably needed a good highway run to "clean the bugs out"! Lucky they had a mechanic at the wheel - I check the oil and coolant every morning in a rental car - I dont want to be the one that cooks an engine. The speed limit on the Interstate 90 in Montana and Wyoming was 80mph, I only went to 75 but thats about 120km/hr, so it got a good workout. The Fusion had about 24000 miles on the odo.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)

Last edited by 5thFordWA; 25-09-2018 at 01:37 AM.
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: