View Single Post
Old 31-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Powertrain options

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
Interesting that in the USA the Ranger is petrol only and has a 2.3L ecoboost engine producing 201kW and 420Nm at 3000rpm, mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission. The petrol ranger is highly regarded in the USA. Notwithstanding this Ford Australia apparently have decided Australia only gets diesels. More details in this link - https://www.drive.com.au/news/us-cri...-ranger-120402.
I think the ecoboost petrol engines are pretty good. I have an escape titanium and it is a great highway cruiser with enough poke and grunt. I only do highway miles in it as local duties and shopping trips are done in the old second car. The escape might be a bit thirstier than some other SUVs but I like the extra power (and the conventional torque auto in place of a Dual Clutch Auto or CVT). I wonder what a 2.3 ecoboost in an Escape with a 10 speed would be like.
Ford is tending to use the 8-speed auto in fwd/awd cars and 10-speed auto in rwd/awd platforms. Next Escape/Kuga has an 8-speed.
There are some exceptions like Shelby Mustang with a dual-clutch Tremec and maybe Focus hipo versions. I believe the Transit Custom vans will go 8-speed for fwd and maybe 10-speed for Transit large rwd.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 31-08-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: