View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #75
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 
Default Re: A query from Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I was under the impression the Forester a 'soft roader' and probably not up to the task of anything other than dirt roads - we're looking for something that has a transfer case with selectable high/low range I guess at the minimum.
Not sure about the latest Forester.. but the older Foresters in Manual form have a high/low range transfer case. My neighbour & his Son both have them.
Pretty good off road too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Territory isn't a 4x4
Not a 4x4... but the AWD Terry, and others like it are fine "off road". It just depends how far off road, or on what type of surfaces it's likely to be taken !??

I've been all over Oz in my AWD Falcon Wagon, which uses the Terry's front end and transfer case, and the RTV's back end... and surprised plenty of 4wd-heads when they see it in the outback. Never pretended its a "real 4x4"... but haven't needed to either.

As Burnout says... plenty of 2WDs getting about in the bush !

Whatever they do end up with, bringing them up to speed with the required "driving style" is just as important. Some of that applies to whatever vehicle they're in... other stuff will need to be tailored to what they end up with !??

Something to note that may help come final decission time... When the authorities/road signs say "4WD access only" on roads during weather events etc... it includes permission for "AWDs" as AWDs have drive to all 4 wheels too.

Can understand the desire for a "real 4wd" up there... but again, it just depends on what sort of roads/off road they plan on doing !?? $12k isn't a lot of coin... so relability would have to be a factor for something of that value, to go bush in... and repairs in the more remote areas can be quite expensive too...

Good luck with your quest !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: