View Single Post
Old 27-04-2024, 10:03 PM   #2286
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I think that 5% theory applied to the Stinger as well. Sure, they created a fast RWD sedan with distinctive styling, but the finer details dragged it down. As in average chassis dynamics, not enough rear tyre, non-switchable stability control, an engine that had no character, a gearbox that would not hold gears in manual mode and would downshift or upshift on its own.

And the thing is, Kia (and Hyundai) crowed on and on about having an ex-BMW M-car chief engineer on the payroll, which was repeatedly mentioned in each and every review or news piece about the car. But the car they delivered was nobbled with overzealous electronic nannies and a lame exhaust note. As much as anything, the Stinger was a marketing exercise with no substance, designed to convince non-car people that Kia made desirable cars.

As for the i30N, one of my detailing peers has the sedan version (Elantra N in the USA). At one point, the car would go into limp mode every time he washed the car, which have it back to the dealership to have the code cleared. Months and months later, its apparently fixed (something to do with moisture egress), but he's wary of washing the thing.
Spot on, couldn't have said it better myself,

Thats what the old man has - why they called it the 'i30N' here in Australia, when its on a different platform is ridiculous, why have two different cars, on different platforms, in the one market, called the same name? It should be called Elantra N here too. They're completely different cars from each other.

He would have gone for the smaller I20N, but none to test drive and they stopped taking orders, also went into a Ford dealership for a Focus ST cancelled order but got laughed out of there
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: