View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #55
Aaron

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4 Diagnostics/OBD2 Reverse Engineering

Abandoned the “Factory” Cruise control path after trying and looking for hidden codes, for other Ford models around the same era, also tried stimulating the “spare” pins on the cluster etc.

I do think that the cluster face was designed to accomodate a factory cruise control, but it’s definitely not being triggered/operated the same way as other Fords (and while I’m sure the jewel could be activated with a CAN Message I couldn’t find the CAN message).

The Cluster PCB has two unused Pins (13 & 26) which I couldn’t get any life from. Interestingly vehicles with a factory cruise that’s able to be activated have more pins on the cluster connector, and ultimately that’s where the cruise switches are connected. Typically it’s a single wire with varied momentary buttons giving different resistance paths. That and there’s more linkage to the throttle body wiring in these cars.

This leads me to think that in a Fiesta the GEM or ECU would be doing the cruise control function. There are CAN messages others have decided on the bus that reflect an ability for the Fiesta to have a commanded throttle position (% open), a commanded torque output (%) and torque requested (which I presume is a calculation from engine load and throttle position). This implies to my logic that a piece of hardware/software in the car could equally make a torque demand decision to maintain a target speed.

Anyway, I’ve ordered a CanM8 cruise control system out of the UK. I’ll keep plugging away with the cluster experiments for a while (once some new Arduino gear arrives) in the hope I can piggy back in some messages like “SET xxxx“ with the set speed on the cluster and light the jewel when the system is on and active.

Other cluster messaging is a bit “meh” in practice. It can be done, but is a bit of a case of “that’s a neat trick, but what is actually useful”. So far haven’t found anything that significantly makes the ahhhaa moment.