View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #124
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Back in the day what car would you buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
A mate of mine years ago made up a triple SU setup for his HT GTS 186S Monaro - the thing really went well, can't remember how he set up the carbies - each had it's own butterfly adjustment - he got the stock manifold, milled off the end, tigged on an alloy section, bored out the holes for the carbies, added stud mounts, etc - great workmanship.
The factory XU-1's had triple Stromberg CD's IIRC, they were very similar to SU's.
Rokwiz - they were still a side draught carby.
The Bathurst cars had triple webers.
Yes I know the difference, seen many a Stromberg CD but I still prefer the normal old Holden Stromberg in twin any day and as for going triple I would not use them but look at the rest like CD and SU.

I seen one dude that had only just one Webber just like the Valiants had triples on his red holden six, it had a long intake manifold for it as the Webber sat right out away from the engine.

What I believe is not so much chasing out right HP but Torque through out the range is what I look at closely on a graph and would rather go smaller on carby CFM's than go too big any day and same with a cam.

Most people back in the 70 80's were chasing HP and going to cams that were too big for a street car and creating a s box cutting corners everywhere to save money.
I was looking at improving the stock engine in the best way and then go bigger cam ect ect and not from driving a stock car to a worked s heap that the owner knew nothing truly about and would blow it up because of their ignorance and the experience left them with a bad memory's.
It was all about trying to blow others away and not being realistic with what should of been done. not to mention many got smashed up real bad or killed not to mention they did not up grade their brakes so it became a death trap.

I remember my elder brother had a stock HQ 173 and he was flat out doing 100MPH and I said turn up the next road and he hit the brakes as hard as he could and we passed the turn off with total brake fade at about 30MPH she just had no brakes at all, that was drum brakes all round for you.
I bought a XG Falcon ute in 1993 got up to 210KM/H and hit the brakes as hard as and got total brake fade at about 60KM/H and that has 4 wheel disc.
So when the asbestos was banned brake pads lost the magic of what asbestos provided, lucky most cars had disc brakes on the front by then, I can't remember the date that such was banned. but I had to find better pads for my XG and the brake shop people were total morons to talk to just brain dead.
So I had to shop around trying out different pads until I got Bendix metal king and they fixed that problem I now had brakes that were worthy of the performance of the car. but I could not get the ultimate for the XG but you could get them for the Commodores.
I thought that the metal king were good but the ultimate were magic in the VL Turbo at 210KM/H you hit the brakes and wipe that speed off in no time back to 100KM/H they are that safe that it was like magic, now most people would not have an idea of how great a stopping power that such can make. 2 seconds may be I would think from 210 to 100KMH, 6 wraps is the noise of the rotors that they make I think.
So if you drive fast they were the best insurance policy you can get by far.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: