View Single Post
Old 23-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #284
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It sounded a bit savage in your first update. Glad you're happy with it - is the missus still allowed to drive it? And how is it in the wet - must be a nightmare, at least until you get used to taking off on veeerrry light throttle.
For anyone not accustomed to a hi stall it would be a big step, no doubt about it. I've had a 3000rpm stall for a while now so this is not that big a leap for me at all. Wife drove it today. She doesnt mind the histall at all but is not a big fan of the noise from the exhaust (it isnt quiet) and especially the suspension (its not really a cushy ride) at all. The histall is the least of her worries.
As for the wet, a histalled car is actually very easy to drive in the wet contrary to popular belief. So long as you are not nuts and just slam your foot into it (thats just asking for trouble) the slip in them allows for very gentle takeoffs without any wheelspin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I guess on the highway it would be OK too - the stall would only come into effect on takeoff and WOT kickdown? Tell me more - I may be interested in a hi-stall for mine (both), but I was thinking more around 2500 mark, as both perform family transport duties now that the twins are in booster seats.
Its fine on the highway if you are used to it. They just need a bit more revs going up inclines. Apart from that its jsut normal. A 2500rpm stall would actually be almost unnoticable day to day except for quicker takeoffs from the lights. In the wet it would probably be easier to drive overall so long as you are not brutal with the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Just on the box for a minute, didn't useless' first box die after the hi-stall? Is this what happens when the stall is changed? Did you have a trans cooler? From memory you did - but did it by-pass the radiator, or was it in series? Sorry about all the questions, but your car interests me a lot, as I want to do at least some of these things to mine (especially the wagon), but over a period of time ($$$$$).
Yes, Useless had a box go on him although I'm not sure if it was the stall or not. Mine was not noticably dieing yet however the fluid was stuffed and the dyno proved it was slipping even at redline... not good. That was with a midsize trans cooler that I'm still running with this one with no major issues now. The trans tunnel doesnt get really hot like it used to either. Thats why I chose to go the whole hog and get this one custom made and strengthened. I cant say how much longer the trans had left in it but I wasnt prepared to risk it going bang and, as I wanted a bigger stall anyhow, it was the perfect time to get the whole thing done and ready for any future changes I throw at it.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.