View Single Post
Old 14-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #246
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Grey Nomads - grumpy pains in the ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
I have a canopy/camper on my au falcon. I'm intending to build a new one before we go away again. Flying and holidays can make sense but they don't always work. Everyone has a different idea of what works for them so...

We went to NZ in 09 and spent a lot of the trip finding accommodation that wold not make her sick. We had not had the problem before but apparently she is suddenly allergic to certain chemicals.

So in order to travel I decided I needed a safe bed for her at least. I can't sleep over 20C so air conditioning was also required.

I bought a teardrop camper. I spent much of the first few trips repairing the (brand new) thing. The biggest problem with them is you bring dirt in every time you enter, so the sheets have to be swept out regularly. I also hated towing it.

The canopy set up decided to leak on our first trip, and of course has the dirt problem, but no towing bother, no extra charge going to tassie on the ferry (terrible idea, possibly the worst holiday experience I've ever had). The new pod will have an integral floor and more space for appliances. I'm hoping to fit a combo washer and dishdrawer to go with the fridge and air con. That should sort if for us. Water tight bed area, appliances, kitchen in the under tray drawer.

We try for ensuite sites. Massively better than shared amenities. There is another reason to go caravan park over hotel. They are like little communities. People talk to each other, and you can pick up clues along with a chuckle and a cuppa.

2c.
The build quality of caravans is a joke, once you've had to fix heaps of them you'll realise they're not worth a pinch of goat ****.

The caravan manufacturing industry was pushing for a 2 year 'apprenticeship' in caravan manufacturing a few years ago, what an absolute joke, how about you build them properly first before you start wanting to make it a trade
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: