View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My ZF Auto - Paddle Shifter Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
I've always wanted and have waited for someone to bring out an aftermarket paddle shifter kit that can be fitted to the ZF auto.

(Driving the FG XR6T ZF auto in manual mode is just so much fun)

At one time, I recall there was a kit on EBay, which is unfortunately no longer available or produced.

There was also a member on here (I forget his name) who was trying to get a kit to market, but I believe it never eventuated.

Then it got me thinking... Being an ideas man ... Instead of trying to develop a paddle shifter kit that integrates "electronically" with the autos manual mode module (which of course would be best) ...
As an alternative, why not have some sort of extension angled bar that can be clamped to the base of the ZF gear shifter and can be easily removed (using some sort of quick release clamp) , that extends up near the steering wheel.

To illustrate my idea, I've put these two concept images together;

The above concept images are just to give you an idea of what I am on about.... The actual extension bar of course would need to be designed and angled in various ways both horizontally and vertically to allow the shifter to go from "Park" to "drive", and clear the dash as well as the steering wheel. Also would not get in the way of turning the steering wheel, when the shifter is moved left and right from Drive mode to Performance mode.

Since the shifter is simply pushed forward or backwards to change gears up or down when in manual mode... The extension bar would require very little force or effort to change gears because of the extra "leverage" the bar would give you.

Of the two ideas (Paddle or knob)... I think the extension bar terminating in a knob, would be a better idea.

Call me crazy, and I'm sure there are many reasons why this would not work.... But I'd like your thoughts never the less.

Not even sure if a mod like this would be legal ?
Cables rods and linkages , you are speaking my favorite technology now ....and from my era , No doubt you could do it if you where determined enough and wanted to put the time and effort into it , which i think would be considerable , imo there would be better ways of doing it though .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: