View Single Post
Old 18-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #775
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdanger15 View Post
We got our AU (I think series 2?) or maybe the first "update". It has front power windows, trim seems different, black scuff plates for some reason and a different grille. Only had 86,000Ks on it when i bought it for $1500. Bloody nice car, but despite the low K's (just over 100K now) has needed some work, naturally. Body wise was great until some idiot side swiped me at the shops and took off

New manifold gasket, ball joints, exhaust, all struts are shot (busted my face a few months ago) brake pedal switch, driver seatbelt. I think the steering rack is shot too, according to the tyre bloke who said he wouldnt be able to do a decent wheel alignment until it got replaced, so i am just delaying that one for a bit...

The boot (RHS) strut ball thing is rusted bad, I don't know how I will remove the thing.

I was thinking of selling it for something newer, but I really like it. It is only the second car, so does not do too many K's.
Re the bootlid strut ball .. Don't bother trying to get the old one out ..Bloody near impossible . Cut it off ..Drill a new hole near as possible ..Get on EBAY and spend a few bucks from memory and buy two new 8mm pivot/balls . There are two sizes in regard to thread and either will do I got the thicker one . Drill the holes in the boot lid inner skin that the originals are located in slightly bigger than the thread . Buy a couple of nuts to suit the thread and with a bit of mucking around you can get the nut on and tighten as there is a tight but accessible gap to get into . I did mine over a year ago that way .

Took me an hour or two but it works fine . I also put two new struts on . OEM pivot ball studs are no longer available so after market ones are all there is . They work just the same though . Cut the old ones off..not worth the trouble trying to unscrew the rusted ones out.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote