View Single Post
Old 19-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #32
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Gtb 351 - 1983 To Now And Beyond!

Thanks for the comments!

Spent about 2 hours on the Black Coupe instalment sat night and about 10 mins from submitting the power went out - lost the lot so I think I'll break it into shorter pieces.

In 93 I was running Barossa Auto Wreckers and picked up a Mulberry Metallic Fairmont Coupe which I used for occassional transport and towing. It had the GS grill and spotties, 302, t-bar but no other GS options. I became the 2nd registered owner.
At happy hour one friday a friend kept getting into me that his monaro could easily beat the GT so I decided to put the running gear from the GT into the coupe.
I had a disc brake 9 inch on the shelf so this was fitted with 3.7 gears and new clutches, I used a wide ratio toploader not the close ratio box you saw in the earlier pics as it would work better on the dragstrip and fitted my 4V motor, a GS dash and bonnet.
It was a rush job but we met up at an AIR street meet and it was on.

I beat the monaro by 0.1 seconds with a disappointing 14.1. I did about 12 runs before I stripped the linings off the modified F100 clutch. I carefully drove the car back to the Barossa, ordered a new clutch and had the motor tuned properly (I ran out of time and tuned it myself the first meet).
I was hooked, the coupe ran a 13.2 at the next meet.
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote