View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #205
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: AU V8 models: Basic questions answered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They were just alloy versions of the gt40. Same tiny port size. If anything the gt40p’s were probably better due to the chamber upgrades over the old gt40’s. Looking back at my Ford Motorsport catalogue from 98 they were the only heads they offered back then. The better, bigger port X heads must not have come along till later. I can find reference to them as far back as 2004 but i don’t know what year they were introduced. So they might not have even been available to tickford at the time of production.
I remember reading an interview with a Tickford engineer making comparisons between the all-iron 220 and the earlier alloy head 220. Apparently he preferred the tougher sound of the all-iron version. I went looking for an online copy of that story but failed to find it, this was back in mid 2001 when the XR8 got the 220.

I did find this nugget of gold -

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...ommodore-vx-ss

"And the engine? What about the engine! Love it. This has got to be the dear old Windsor V8's finest hour. Cast iron may not be the fashion today, but this engine's booming responsiveness is never going to go out of style. Not until the oil runs out, anyway.

It sounds great. Suitably muted at idle and acceptably quiet at cruise speed revs, the 5.0-litre begins to sing as the needle swings past 3000. By 4000 it's V8 Supercar soundtrack. Low-pitched exhaust from behind, high-pitched mechanical whine up front. While the red on the tach dial starts at 5750, the Ford V8 feels eager to spin harder all the way to the rather coarse cut-out at 6250."
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: