View Single Post
Old 17-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #485
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
On the good quality VS cheapo camping frigs it will depend on power usage... ie cheapo might use upto 7amp per hour (cycling 15hrs out of 24) where as a quality one might use 3amps ph (cycling say for 2 minutes every 20 mins) which is a big deal to your battery storage capabilities.
When on site i run the fridge from my Arkpak which contains a 130ah AGM battery.
Even when daytime temps nudge low 30's and barley drop below 20 at night it will use little more than 20% overnight from fully charged until the sun is high enough the following day for the 180w solar to return surplus charge with the compressor active.
This also includes running other accessories such as phone or tablet chargers and my 12v LED strip lighting setup.

So long as you have enough battery capacity to get you through the non productive hours whilst maintaining at least 50% in reserve, the key to maintaining ongoing performance is having enough solar generation to get whatever you're using back to peak in the shortest possible time the following day.
Even when running my 60l companion as a fridge on 2* and my Waeco 18l as a freezer i've not seen my setup drop below 65% and is always at 100% by lunchtime the following day unless its overcast or im in and out and not capturing max available due to shadow or direction.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote